Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Doctor Wannabe

Dr. Wannabe was no doctor at all. He was in medical equipment sales, which is a respectable position, but seemed to lead him to some form of penis envy for the doctors he worked with daily.

The Doc initially described his work only as “in the medical profession”. Lots of people are vague about their jobs. However, he also showed up for both of our dates in scrubs. He threw out medical jargon in casual conversation in a manner that was obviously intended to impress. When he explained his real job, he spoke of his expertise and excellent income, bragging about his beach house and the paid-for house he had given his ex-wife.

Our first date was brief and all about him. Since I know we are all trying to impress on the first date, I gave him the benefit of the doubt and agreed to a second date. Because of my unusual schedule, I requested a breakfast date, to which he agreed.

The second date began with stories of his conquests of successful women, complete with belittling of their skills both professionally and in bed. After that, I heard about his gun collection and how he pulled one on the boyfriend of his ex-wife just to remind him that Doc was boss.

Our conversation concluded with his mentioning that he had a hotel room nearby. Allegedly, he had been called to a local hospital for an emergency which required his expertise in the middle of the night. Rather than drive twenty minutes home, he thought it made more sense to stay in a hotel since he knew he would be back out that way for our breakfast. I then told him the story of the Sham Wow guy, pointing out that I recognized the guy’s efforts to lure me into his hotel room and emphasizing that I’m not a fling kind of gal.

I never heard from him again. I didn’t mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment