Wednesday, December 22, 2010

The Cop

Some of my funniest dating stories are ones where the date didn’t happen at all. On a few occasions, I have been asked out and accepted dates, only to have had things go so badly during the time between asking and going that I canceled.

            On one occasion, I had planned a date with The Cop. The Cop had seen several pictures of me, but still kept asking me to text pix to him. While I think I’m reasonably attractive, I photograph horribly. I generally avoid cameras and do about thirty retakes for every one picture I post, so I definitely am not a fan of the picture text. Still, I assumed he was just wanting to make sure the images he had seen were current by seeing something taken that day. I took a so-so picture and sent it to him after he had made three requests.

            He seemed to approve of the picture, as he complimented it and said he was looking forward to seeing me. Case closed, or so I thought. Instead, he asked for more pictures. I had an uneasy feeling that perhaps he was leading up to nude photos, which I won’t do. I’ve learned to listen to my gut, so I politely told him that I thought we were in different places in life (read: I found him immature) and should cancel our date. His response floored me.

            After he called me numerous times without an answer (I was in a meeting), he called me from a different number. As my meeting had just finished, I answered, not knowing who was calling. Our conversation went something like this:

Me: Hello?
The Cop: Oh, so now you answer.
Me: What?
The Cop: I’ve been calling and you avoided me. Now that you didn’t recognize the number, you answer.
Me: I was in a meet…
The Cop: (interrupting) So you’re standing me up?
Me: No, standing you up would involve telling you I’d be there and then not showing. I cancelled.
The Cop: Why did you cancel?
Me: I just wasn’t comfortable with you continuing to ask for pictures. I am who I represented myself as, and don’t feel like I need to keep proving that to you. We were going to see each other soon enough.
The Cop: You b1+©h, I left court early for you (he was the one who had suggested the date and time).
Cop Hangs Up on Me

Immediately after, by text:

The Cop: You’re probably fat and ugly anyway.
Me: I think you just proved my point (about immaturity).

            The anger in his response, as well as the continued immaturity, left me knowing I’d made the right decision in cancelling. Now I just live in fear of random traffic stops. J

No comments:

Post a Comment